Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Books I like

Well I'm doing laminate wood flooring and have a mother-in-law in town, so I'll probably not come tomorrow. I'd really like to have something other than novels in the bunch, because I need more motivation to read educational books. Plus, my favorite group got together and discussed various aspects of periods of history and we just had fun learning together. I'd like to be a part of some group like that again.

Anyway, that said. These are my suggestions:

"Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh would probably be loved by everyone. Great for the overwhelmed mom and spiritual in nature.

"Punished by Rewards: The Trouble With Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A'S, Praise, and Other Bribes" by Alfie Kohn. Not read this one all the way, but BYU professors recommend it and it has got to be appropriate. Great for moms. It's concepts have changed my way of thinking. Basically rewards sometimes take away the pure joy of doing.

The next suggestion is to read these two books together (they are shorts): "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach and "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson. They are both FUN, EASY HR type reads. They both read like novels and are super cute, but they have a really clear and impacting message. They both ask you to live to your fullest potential in some way. Good ones to discuss and everyone should read both in their lifetime, especially since they are both so popular in American culture. I suspect most people will have read at least one, but maybe some people will read something new with one or the other.

No comments: